I woke up this morning to another swarm hanging from the magnolia tree in the exact same place as the previous one. I believe this swarm cam from the original hive with the now Russian bees. Having seen the overwintering and spring buildup that they achieved, I didn’t want to lose them. I had previously assembled a medium super to start building on top of the lang I put the other swarm in. I had heard of placing a second colony on an existing colony to end up with a two queen colony once the pheromones mixed. Since I don’t need / can’t have another hive, this seemed like the only logical choice. After some fast reading to answer a few questions about separating the colonies with newspaper, I pulled off the cover, placed a single sheet of newspaper, cut a few holes with the hive tool, and added the medium super to the stack. This time instead of dropping the swarm in a container and then dumping it in I simply cut the branch and shook the bees into the hive with one swift bump. Unfortunately I didn’t have help this time, so no video. I had already pulled a couple of empty drawn combs from Hive #1 a few weeks ago and froze them in preparation to band them into the new super.

20130505-174312.jpg

20130629-214527.jpg